(Courtesy of Mr. Darian PAVLI, LL.M.)
- Nov. 28, 1998: New Constitution adopted on Independence Day. An ad hoc
parliamentary committee through an open and participatory process drafted it. It was then
approved by the Kuvendi (the parliament) and voted by the people in a national
referendum. Prominent constitutional experts alike Mr. La Pergola, head of the well-known
Venice Commission of CoE, have stated that the new Albanian Constitution fully complies
with European democratic standards.
- 1997: A national referendum confirms the republican form of government.
- 1995: Albania becomes a member of the Council of Europe and ratifies the European
Convention of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (1950).
- 1994: A draft constitution submitted to a national referendum, entirely and
unconstitutionally bypassing the Parliament, is rejected by the voters.
- 1993: Bill of Rights approved.
- 1992: Amendments to the Main Constitutional provisions concerning the judicial system
and local government.
- 1991, Apr.: The Main Constitutional Provisions (dispositions?), an interim
constitution, approved by consensus by the first post-communist parliament,
established the principles of political pluralism, free elections and separation of
- Dec. 1990: The first anticommunist party (DP), after decades of single-party regime,
opens way to multiparty system.
- 1976: The Constitution of the Peoples Socialist Republic of Albania: a
- 1968: Albania denounces the Warsaw Treaty.
- 1955: Membership in the United Nations.
- 1946: The Constitution of the Second Republic is adopted by a directly elected
- 1945: Albania participates in the Paris Peace Conference as a member the Coalition.
- Jan. 11, 1945: The Peoples Republic of Albania is proclaimed.
- 1945 - 1990: The totalitarian dictatorship imposed by Albanian Communist Party (later on
called the Labor Party).
- 1944, Nov.: Liberation of Albania.
- 1939 - 1944: Albanian Resistance.
- 1943, Sept. 1944, Nov.: Nazi - German occupation.
- 1939, Apr. 1943, Sept.: Fascist - Italian occupation and annexation.
- 1928: The Constitution of the Kingdom. Zog I becomes King of the Albanians.
- 1925: The Constitution of the First Republic, based on the French model of the
- 1924, Jun. Dec.: The June Revolution. The government of bishop Noli. The
restoration of the legal government.
- 1922: The first parliamentary election.
- 1921: Albania becomes member of the League of Nations.
- 1920: The Vlora War: Italian troops are forced out of the city port of Vlora,
thus ending any possibility of partition of the country on the grounds of the secret Treaty
of London, 1915.
- 1920, Jan.: The Interim Constitution of Lushnje. The establishment of the four
- 1914: The Organic Statute of the Princedom makes Albania a constitutional monarchy.
- 1913, Nov.: The Ambassadors Conference appoints Wilhelm Von Wied, Prince of Albania.
- 1913, Jul.: The Ambassadors Conference recognizes the independent state of
Albania. The settling of the international frontiers with Serbia, Montenegro and Greece:
entire regions populated by ethnic Albanians are left out.
- Nov.28, 1912: Declaration of Independence and subsequent formation of a National
Government headed by Ismail Qemali.
- 1911 1912: War of Independence.
- 1878 1881: The League of Prizren proclaims the autonomy of the Albanian vilajets
within Ottoman Empire, and organizes armed and diplomatic resistance against the
incorporation of Albanian territories into Serbia and Montenegro.
- 1870s 1912: National Rebirth Movement sets up political and cultural ends toward
national awakening and independence from the Sublime Porte and unification of
- 1478 1912: Ottoman Empires Rule.
- 1443 1468: George Kastriot Skanderbeg leads the Albanian Resistance against the
Ottomans. Due to his contributes on protecting Christianity; Pope Clement VI gives
Skanderbeg the title of " Champion of Christianity".
- 1444,Mar.: At Lezha Convention is founded the League of Albanian Princes, a political
and military alliance against the Ottomans.
- XV c. : Leke Dukagjini, a landlord of North, codifies the century-long customary layoff
Albania into a Kanun (Code) bearing his own name: Kanuni i Leke Dukagjinit.
- XIV c.: Three independent Albanian Princedoms are created (respectively, of Balshaj,
Topia and Gjin Bue Shpata).
- 1190: Princedom of Arberia (the name of Albania in the Albanian language).
- 330 AC: Byzantine Empire.
- 168 BC: Beginning of Roman Rule.
- 400 BC: The first Illyrian state.
- 2nd millennium BC: Illyrian civilization.